Dane teleadresowe Urzędu Miasta




07-300 Ostrów Mazowiecka
ul. 3 Maja 66

Centrala 29 679 54 50
Tel. sekretariat 29 679 54 55 lub 56
Fax. 29 679 54 22

e-mail: poczta@ostrowmaz.pl

czytaj więcej »mehr »????? ?????? »

Walking through the town

 The past of the town is reminded by numerous mementoes, impressive buildings and also places of memory.

Neo-gothic Assumption Church

Neo-gothic Blessed Virgin Mary Assumption Church with its two high towers; with a low relief of the Assumption in the main alter and a painting of St. Nicolas painted on a plank from the first part of XVIIth c. in one of side altars. It was built thanks to efforts of Ostrow parish priest Adam Prus-Jarnutowski in the years 1885-1894. The designers were architects F. Nowicki and B. Schmidt, and the builder

Spoldzielczy (Cooperative) Bank

was Wladyslaw Colonna Czosnowski from Warsaw. Stones for the foundations of the church were brought from ‘ZALE’prehistoric burial ground situated in the North outskirts of the town. In Plac Wolnosci (Freedom Square), by the church there is Dab Wolnosci (Freedom Oak) planted in 1919, on the first anniversary of regaining freedom.


City Pond

Not far from the church there is also the Secondary School building erected in 1926 by Poviat Council. Its architecture refers to a palace form.

Neo-classical one story building of Spoldzielczy (Cooperative) Bank erected in 1926 according to Stefan Zwolanowski design with characteristic columns stylized following the Greek example, former seat of Ludowy (Folk) Bank.

In a droshky through the city
Neo-baroque Town Hall, the seat of municipal authorities, built in 1927. The originator and energetic advocate of the building were Mayor Ludwik Mieczkowski and the designer, a municipal architect Stefan Zwolanowski. The Town Hall was erected in a market square in the center of the town which was later named after Princess Anna Mazowiecka. Destroyed in 1944 it was carefully rebuilt and nowadays it is a real pearl of architecture and the pride of the town at the same time being one of the most functional and representative buildings of Ostrow.

Town Hall by night
The park surrounding the town pond which was set up by Poviat Governer Ignatij Lojko in the years 1874-1875. Earlier in this place there was a pond remembering the times of princely and royal courts.

Mauzoleum in the parish cemetery

Places of menory:
* Metal crosses placed in a stone at the junction of Warszawska and 63-Roku streets (symbolizing a place of a skirmish and executions) and Gen. W. Sikorski and E. Orzeszkowa streets (place of execution of January insurrectionists);
* A cross with an oval plate with a quotation of one of psalms by the main cemetery avenue  (to the memory of January insurrectionists buried in secret by night).
* Plot of Jewish soldier graves from the years 1918 – 1921, Polish Army soldiers  who were killed, died of wounds and as a result of an epidemic;

Ostrow Nike
* Mass grave of Polish Army soldiers fallen on 4th August, 1920 in Ostrow fields;
* Mass grave of Polish Army soldiers fallen on 8th September, 1939  in the vicinities of  Ostrow;
* Mass grave of guerillas fallen under Jarzabka and Pecynka in August 1944;
* Mausoleum of Ostrow District sons and daughters fallen and murdered by both invaders and in the Stalinist period;
* Monument of a soldier and a guerilla called Ostrow ‘Nike’;
* Commemorative stone in the place of farmer brewery, in the years of occupation of the seat of Gestapo (present Primary School No. 1 and State Grammar School No. 1);
* Commemorative stone at the frontage of the Fire Brigade Building in 11 Listopada St. commemorating members of OSP (Voluntary Fire Brigade) fallen and killed during the Second World War;

11th November holiday under Dab Wolnosci (Freedom Oak)
* Commemorative stones inside the Secondary School dedicated to fallen professors and  students of the Grammar School in the years 1920 and 1939-1945;
* Monument of 18th Regiment of Light Artillery  by Princess Anna Mazowiecka Square;
* Obelisk under the Oak of Freedom (square near Blessed Virgin Mary Assumption Church);
* Monument dedicated to teachers of secret teaching in the years 1939-1944 by the entrance to the Secondary School.

Monument of Princess Anna Mazowiecka

* Special attention among Ostrow mementos is drawn by the monument of the town benefactress, Princess Anna Mazowiecka sculptured by Miloslawa Skoczek-Sliwinska erected on 570th anniversary of granting a town charter.